If a picture’s worth a thousand words, what would your photo say? Maybe it shows the bond between you and your mentor, a collection of your accomplishments, or a snapshot of your friend giving their best speech. Read the photo contest guidelines below for more details.
Did we mention that amateur photographer and International President Richard E. Peck, DTM, will be a guest judge? Not only that, but he will also virtually visit the winner’s club to personally congratulate them!
Photo Contest Terms and Conditions
What: Toastmaster Magazine Photo Contest
When: The photo contest will take place February 1 - 28, 2021.
Promotion: The contest will be promoted on Toastmasters International’s social media channels, in the monthly Leader Letter, and the online magazine.
Eligibility: You must be a current, paid member in good standing to be eligible. All employees of Toastmasters International World Headquarters, including those who are active members in a club, are not eligible. In addition, Toastmasters International Board of Directors, current International Officers and Directors, or any declared candidates for International Officer or Director for the 2020-2021 election cycle, are not eligible.
Rules: We will accept one photo entry per person. Photos must be in .jpg format at a resolution of 300dpi or least one megabyte (1MB) to be considered. Please attach the image to your email with your name and a brief description and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The photo must be taken by you and should be shot within the one-month time frame of the contest, between February 1 – 28, 2021. If Toastmasters materials are showing (banners, lecterns, badges, etc.), they must reflect the current branding guidelines. No photos with explicit material will be accepted. Remaining photo entries will be considered for additional categories, so send us your best shot!
By submitting your photo entry, you authorize Toastmasters International to publish any or all photos in the printed Toastmaster magazine, electronically in the digital magazine, on the Toastmasters website, Toastmasters International social media platforms, or for any other use or purpose at Toastmasters International’s sole discretion.
Prize: Staff from the Magazine team, in collaboration with President Peck, will select a winner. The winning image will be published in a future issue of the Toastmaster magazine. A representative from World Headquarters will then coordinate a visit with President Peck and the winner’s home club. There is no monetary compensation for the winner, or any contest entrants. Photos that are not selected for a winning category may be used for future magazine or marketing projects.
- All photos must be original work, taken by the entrants. No third party may own or control any materials the photo contains, and the photo must not infringe upon the trademark, copyright, moral rights, intellectual rights, or rights of privacy of any entity or person.
- The content of the photo cannot be altered by removing, adding, reversing, or distorting subjects within the frame. Edits such as cropping, adjustments to color, or conversion to grayscale are permitted.
- Entries will be judged by the Magazine team at Toastmasters International, with International President Richard E. Peck helping to select the winning photos.
- Toastmasters International reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.
- By entering the contest, entrants agree that photos submitted can be used by Toastmasters International for marketing and advertising purposes.
- Submissions will not be accepted once the deadline lapses.
- The winner will be contacted via the email address provided during entry.
- The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- You have not licensed any rights in the work that will conflict with the usage rights required by Toastmasters International.
- You have the permission of any persons in the work, or if they are under 18, the consent of their parent or guardian to grant the usage rights required by Toastmasters International.
- You will be responsible for any claim made by any third party in respect of Your entry and to fully indemnify Toastmasters International in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person or entity by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
Judging/Winners: There will be one first-place photo contest winner. The Magazine team will initially judge all photo entries based on:
- Adherence/Appropriateness to theme
- Uniqueness of Concept
- Innovative Means of Delivering Message
- Clarity and Quality of Submission
- Color, Lighting, Exposure, and Focus
- Audience Appeal
Additional winners: Remaining photo entries will be considered for additional categories. There is no official prize for the additional categories; however, these photos may be displayed on the Toastmasters International website, online or print magazine, and/or social media.
- Most inspirational
- Best Usage of Branding
- Most Memorable
- Best technical execution
For questions about the contest, please email email@example.com.