A few ways the Smedley Fund makes a difference:
Offsets the costs of programs and materials, such as the Youth Leadership Program (for those younger than 18)Request support
Will be determined by the Board of Directors based on the organization's mission and Strategic Plan
Can provide relief to those suffering losses due to extreme economic hardship or disasters by covering the costs of their Toastmasters dues and any lost materialsRequest relief
- Covered membership dues for District 75 (in the wake of a typhoon), and those affected by Hurricane Ida
- Provided a reduction in membership dues from District 82 on behalf of clubs in Sri Lanka and from District 122 on behalf of clubs in Pakistan
- Covered membership dues for war-affected members in Ukraine and Russia
- Continued providing financial support to clubs suffering due to 2020 warehouse explosions in Beirut
- Covered membership dues for those members who hadn't paid in the wake of Hurricane Ida, and in the wake of man-made and natural disasters in Haiti
- Covered the loss of educational materials due to fire at a club's meeting place
- Covered the loss of materials and meeting space due to Hurricane Dorian in 2019
- Provided financial support to clubs affected by warehouse explosions in Beirut
- Covered the costs of the Youth Leadership Program materials for a school in Japan
Other Ways to Give
Honorary or Memorial Gifts
Honor an individual or occasion by donating on another's behalf.
Set up a convenient monthly, quarterly, semiannual or annual gift.
Planned Estate Gifts
Plan a future contribution through your estate plans, such as making a bequest by including language in your will or living trust.
Corporate Matching Gifts
Ask your employer if they have a matching gift program to double your contribution.
Over a century ago, Dr. Ralph Smedley had a vision of helping people learn communication and leadership skills in a positive and supportive environment. In 1965, the Ralph C. Smedley Memorial Fund® (“Smedley Fund”) was established to honor and uphold that legacy, and to open doors for the many millions of potential Toastmasters yet to come.
Fifty years later, the educational needs of individuals have evolved and multiplied. Though the historic fund had humble beginnings with a local impact, the Smedley Fund retains its same purpose—the advancement of communication and leadership education through the research, development, and distribution of educational programs and materials.
We appreciate all donations
$1-$999 USD - A 24-inch banner ribbon
$1,000+ USD - An engraved plaque*
$1-$999 USD - A Contributor ribbon
$1,000+ USD - Amethyst Contributor lapel pin*
$5,000+ USD - Sapphire Contributor lapel pin*
$10,000+ USD - Emerald Contributor lapel pin*
$25,000+ USD - Ruby Contributor lapel pin*
$50,000+ USD - Diamond Contributor lapel pin*
$1-$999 USD - An engraved plaque
$1,000+ USD - An engraved crystal*
*Those giving $1,000 USD or more in cumulative lifetime gifts (accruing from January 1, 2016) will receive the gift listed above per category.