Proxy and Annual Business Meeting FAQ
1. Which two officers can assign the proxy for the club? Do they both have to assign it?Back to Top
The club’s proxyholder is assigned by either the Club President or the Club Secretary, who will designate the club’s proxyholder online in Club Central.
If one officer has already assigned the club’s proxy, no action is necessary from the other officer.
2. If the Club President or Secretary is carrying the club’s proxy, do they still need to assign the proxy to themself?Back to Top
Yes. The proxy system does not automatically assign the club’s proxy to anyone. If the Club President or Secretary does not assign the proxy to themself, the system will show it as unassigned.
3. How can clubs assign proxies?Back to Top
A club can assign its proxy in one of three ways:
- Designate a delegate from the club to cast your club votes.
- Designate a 2020-2021 District Director to act as your club proxy. If (and only if) the District Director is unable to perform the duty of a proxyholder, the next senior District officer will act as your club proxy.
- Designate another active member to act as your club proxy.
4. Will clubs have the option to delegate their proxy to the District Director or another Toastmasters member?Back to Top
Yes, clubs will have the same options for assigning their proxies as in previous years. Those three options are to designate a delegate from the club, designate the 2020-2021 District Director, or designate another active member.
5. How can I reassign whom my club selects as its proxyholder?Back to Top
If a club wants to change its proxy assignment, the Club President or Secretary can follow the steps below:
- Log in to Club Central with your member ID/email and password.
- Select the club you wish to conduct business for to access the Club Business menu.
- Click on Club Proxy.
- Scroll to the bottom of the proxy assignment page and select the link to change the proxy.
Once the officer selects the option to change the proxyholder, they may reassign it to another individual.
6. I tried to reassign my club’s proxy online, but there is no link.Back to Top
For 2020, clubs are only able to make changes to reassign the club proxy prior to August 18, 2020.
7. How many votes is each club allowed?Back to Top
As provided in the Bylaws of Toastmasters International, Article X, Section 1, each club is entitled to two votes on each item presented for a vote.
8. What types of proxies are there?Back to Top
The club has indicated a preference for particular International Officer and Director candidates and for the proposals; therefore, the proxyholder must vote as instructed.
The club has not indicated a preference for particular candidates and for the proposals. The proxyholder must vote as they believe is in the best interest of the organization, and their vote must not be governed by any other person, group, or caucus.
9. How does the club determine whom to select as their proxyholder and how to cast their votes for the Annual Business Meeting?Back to Top
As with any club business decision, the club should vote at a business meeting, with a quorum present, to decide whom to select as proxyholder and if or how to instruct that proxyholder to cast their votes.
10. Where can I find my member ID number?Back to Top
All members can find their member ID number by logging in to the Toastmasters International website and accessing their profile. Club Presidents and Secretaries can obtain member ID numbers of members in their club by accessing the club’s membership roster on the Toastmasters International website.
11. I am the Vice President Education. Why can I not assign my club’s proxy?Back to Top
While the Vice President Education is able to assign the club’s proxy for District Council meetings, the club’s representation at the Annual Business Meeting must be designated by the Club President or Club Secretary. In order to ensure your club is represented, please speak with one of those two officers.
12. What if the Club President and Secretary do not have access to email?Back to Top
A letter will be mailed to both the Club President and Club Secretary on record with instructions for accessing the proxy information on the Toastmasters International website.
13. Why did I receive a proxy letter in the mail?Back to Top
World Headquarters mails proxy letters to those Club Presidents and Secretaries who do not have an active email address on file.
14. How do I request a replacement email with the proxy instructions?Back to Top
To order a duplicate copy, please contact us by email. Be sure to include the current Club President’s or Secretary's name and email address and your club number.
15. Is there a deadline for assigning my club’s proxy?Back to Top
The deadline for assigning a club’s proxy is August 18, 2020.
16. Is a report available for District Directors to follow up with those clubs that have not submitted proxies?Back to Top
Through District Central on the Toastmasters International website, District Directors will be able to see which clubs have assigned their proxies and which clubs have not. For those clubs that have not submitted their proxies, District Directors are provided the Club President's name and contact information to allow the District Director to follow up.
17. How will undistricted clubs assign their proxies to a District Director?Back to Top
Each undistricted club has been pre-assigned a District Director to whom their proxy will be delegated if the club chooses the “Designate District Director” option.
18. How will voting delegates obtain their proxy summary reports?Back to Top
Voting delegates should follow the steps below starting on August 19, 2020:
- Log in to the Toastmasters International website and go to the “My Profile” page.
- Click on View Proxy Information.
- Click on I Intend to Vote. That will generate the delegate’s proxy summary report.
19. How many votes can I carry as a proxyholder?Back to Top
You may be assigned as the proxyholder for any number of clubs and carry any number of votes.
20. When does the Credentials process close?Back to Top
Credentials closes on August 22, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
Annual Business Meeting FAQ
1. How will I vote for proposals and elections?Back to Top
Voting will be conducted using an electronic ballot which will be accessed through the Toastmasters International website.
2. Will there be a training on how to vote?Back to Top
A training video on how to use the electronic ballot will be available on the website during the week of the Virtual International Convention. There will also be live training sessions available to attend online.
3. How long will I have to complete my electronic ballot?Back to Top
The electronic ballots will be active for 24 hours starting at the beginning of the Annual Business Meeting.
4. When will we know the results of the ballots?Back to Top
The voting results for the proposals and elections will be announced on Saturday, August 29, at 6 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) during the Annual Business Meeting Results and President’s Inauguration event.
5. How will the discussion and debate on proposals be managed?Back to Top
There will be a Town Hall where the Executive Committee will address questions regarding the proposals that were submitted prior to the recording of the event.
Also, there will be a discussion during the Annual Business Meeting.
6. When will the agenda for the Annual Business Meeting be available?Back to Top
The agenda will be available on the website during the week of the convention.