Candidate's Office: International Director
Region Number: 4
Toastmasters member since: 2007
Education: Bachelor of Science, Colorado State University; CFP Certification Program, College for Financial Planning
Employer and/or position: Thrive Every Day, Founder, Owner
Served as district governor of district number: 26
Term of service: 2014-2015
In term as district governor, district achieved: Distinguished
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service (international and regional level):
- 2018-2019 VP Public Relations Evening Stars Club
- 2016-2017 Region 10 Advisor
- 2016 Treasurer Spirited Speakers
- 2016 VP Membership Bob Ord Toastmasters
- 2015 VP Membership Spirited Speakers
- 2015 Sgt at Arms Spirited Speakers
- 2015 VP Education Bob Ord Toastmasters
- 2014-2015 District Governor
- 2013-2014 VP Membership Professional Presenters Toastmasters
- 2013-2014 Lt. Governor Education & Training
- 2012-2013 Lt. Governor Marketing
- 2012 VP Education Bob Ord Toastmasters
- 2011 VP Membership Bob Ord Toastmasters
- 2010-2011 Area 5 Director
- 2009 Sgt at Arms Bob Ord Toastmasters
- 2008 President Bob Ord Toastmasters
Toastmasters honors and recognition (international level):
- 2013-2014 Excellence in Education and Training
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a Board member:
Throughout my 40 plus years career, my focus has been on:
- Situational analysis
- Improved efficiency
- Cost savings
In my career, I have:
- Served as School District Accountant where I modernized the office and investment program
- Spearheaded the County automation and created investment and retirement programs which became models for other local Governments in the United States
- Served clients for over 20 years as a Certified Financial Planner™ Professional.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
As Summit School District bookkeeper and then Summit County Treasurer, strategic planning was critical as we modernized and automated the small, outdated office processes in the fastest growing county in the U.S. We upgraded the money management process incorporating investment policies that stressed our fiduciary responsibility to work in the public’s best interest. Our processes became a model for local governments across the US. I As Chair of the Finance Council of my Church, we revamped the budget process and instituted investment policies.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
In my positions as Summit School District Accountant and then Summit County Treasurer, I managed accounting systems and the investment of more than $50 million, created and monitored budgets, and spearheaded creation of the County Retirement Fund.
As a Certified Financial Planner™ Professional I analyzed my clients’ financial situations and guided them as they implemented budgetary, savings, lifestyle, and investment strategies to achieve the financial success they desired. As Board member of my church and Zonta Club of Denver and Zonta Foundation Board I reviewed budgets and created investment policies
What experience do you have in developing policies?
- I wrote investment policies for Summit School District and Summit County.
- I served on an ongoing committee to review and revise personnel policies for Summit County government employees.
- As a member of the Parish Finance Council and Foundation Board of the Zonta Club of Denver I suggested the creation of investment policies to manage over one million dollars in funds and reduce conflict of interest
- I served on board committees to review and revise bylaws for the Denver Santa Claus Shop, Zonta Club of Denver and Sales Professionals International.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
Serving in various capacities on several boards has taught me:
- First and foremost, to always remember that we are working together for a common goal and to set aside differences for the Greater Good
- To discover the strengths and preferences of my team members and place them in roles that honor those strengths and preferences
- To involve my team in developing a compelling vision with a clear WHY to guide our work together and to delegate opportunities for them to grow.
- Leading is situational and effective leaders know they must adjust to the situation and to lead from there, moving always in the direction of the Vision and Strategy
- To effectively communicate the Organization’s Value and Benefits to those we serve
- To listen and lead teams with understanding and motivation
- That great leaders make others great leaders as well.
What experience and key strengths would you bring to the Board of Directors?
I bring financial, managerial and strategic planning experience and strong people skills developed throughout my career. My key strengths start with honoring and recognizing the value of individuals in the organization and welcoming diversity of culture and ability. Other strengths are leading teams, helping others to recognize and resolve conflict for the good of the organization, bringing teams together to define a shared vision and desired outcomes and developing plans to achieve them today and in the future.
Why do you want to serve as an international officer/director?
I’d like to continue serving and sharing my passion for Toastmasters, the organization that makes a positive impact around the world as we continue to:
- Attract and empower even more members to be effective communicators and leaders
- Continue to find new ways to engage and retain all of our members, new and longstanding including recognizing their accomplishments
- Inspire our members to become ambassadors and share the benefits of our program around the world
- Analyze, streamline and enhance operations for the benefit of our members
This is the way we can honor our founder and bring out the best in more people worldwide.
What volunteer experience do you have outside of Toastmasters?
- Girl Scout and Boy Scout Leader
- Sunday school teacher
- Parish Finance and School Advisory board member
- Member of various organizations including Zonta International and Sales Professionals International
- Team leader for 3 motivational speakers
- Team leader in coordinating volunteers cooking and serving dinner in a homeless shelter
Have you worked with other Boards of Directors outside of Toastmasters? If so, describe your experience.
I have served as: Committee member, conference coordinator, board member and president of professional organizations including County Treasurers Association, Public Trustees Association, Colorado Institute of Certified Financial Planners and Sales Professionals International.
- Board Member and 1st Vice President of the National Association of County Treasurers and Finance Officers. Coordinated 3 national meetings.
- Past President, Board member and Nominating and Bylaws committee member of Denver Santa Claus Shop.
- As a member of the Parish Finance Council and Foundation Board of the Zonta Club I suggested and oversaw the creation of an investment policies.
- Served as Parish Council member in 3 different parishes reviewing budgets, personnel and budget policies, development plans and operational functions.
- As a member of the School Advisory committee I reviewed budgets, and financial reports, personnel policies and salary structure
In your opinion, what are Toastmasters International’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
Our major objectives are Club Excellence; Member Achievement; and Awareness Engagement and Participation. An ongoing primary objective for any board is to ensure sound fiscal policy in order to deliver on the board’s fiduciary responsibility to serve the best interests of our members.
I will work quickly to learn the “way of the board” and how to support fellow board members as we work together to serve the members.
I will work to enhance the member experience. I believe we can enhance that through listening to our members, member recognition, enhancements to the education program in content and ease of use, and educating members and leaders on creative ways to engage members in supporting members in goal achievement and leadership roles, member recruitment, adding variety and fun to meetings (as Ralph Smedley said “we earn best in times of enjoyment) and the importance of our Core Values. This has been my area of focus as I have served our members. I will work for our objectives remembering that “members are the heart of Toastmasters.”
I look forward to the opportunity to serve our global membership.
Additional information about candidate: