Nazeer Gazaq Alqasem
Candidate's Office: International Director
Region Number: 11
Toastmasters member since: 1998
Education: MSc Petroleum Engineering, NLP certification
Employer and/or position: Saudi Aramco/Senior Consultant
Served as District Director of District number: 79
Term of service: 2012-2013
In term as District Director, District achieved: President DistinguishedWebsite: leadwithnazeer.com
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service (international and regional level):
- 2011-2012 District Bureau Chairman
- 2012-2013 District Governor
- 2013-2014 Immediate Past District Director
- 2016-2017 Credentials Committee Chair
- 2017-2018 District Parliamentarian
- 2018-2019 Pathways Ambassador and Guide
- 2019-2020 District Best Practices Committee Chairman
Toastmasters honors and recognition (international level):
- 2012-2013 Leadership Distinction
- 2012-2013 Excellence in Leadership Award
- 2012-2013 President 20 Plus Award
- 2012-2013 President Extention Award
- 2012-2013 President Distinguished District Governor
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a Board Member:
I have worked for 33 years in the oil industry at one of the most profitable and successful global oil and gas corporations in the world. I was leading professional engineering staff and technical workers in operation with varying skills, backgrounds and ages. Working on major multi million dollar projects to ensure we have both Maximum Sustained Capacity and Maintain Potential of the Crude Program. As Division Head of Oil Facilities and Production I had the full responsibility for establishing and updating the Five Year Business plan and approve the annual Operating Plans and making sure they are well presented to the Board of the company. In Toastmasters and in my profession I have led and inspired diverse teams to focus on achieving the mission which gives me leverage and good experience to serve as Board member.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
One of the important functions that we performed in the company was developing strategic plans to forecast future world oil and gas demand and making sure our oil and gas facilities stay ready to meet the projected world consumption. It's very important to understand that strategic planning is an ongoing process. My experience in developing long term strategic plans and the skills I gained during my professional work will help me serve effectively on the Board.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
During my two years as department operation manager I was responsible to prepare annual budget and while serving as superintendent in operation and maintenance I was involved in budgeting and forecasting both material and manpower. I had the approval authority of invoices exceeding 100 Thousand US Dollars cost. In addition to managing my own personal business finances I served as treasurer and managed cash flow in Toastmasters. Serving as District Governor gave me additional practical experience by opening a joint bank account and creating district budget with my team and submitting it for approval at Headquarters. I was responsible for the district financial records showing revenues and expenses and initiated audit reports showing profits and losses to be reviewed and approved by the district council after world headquarters final approval.
What experience do you have in developing policies?
While working in operation I was responsible for drafting and updating department GI's, General Instructions manuals and revised company policies for annual operating plans, also established KPI's, Key Performance Indicators, to improve safety procedures and implement environmental protection policies. In Toastmasters year 2019-2020 I was appointed as chairman of District Operating Procedures Committee consisting of four past district directors. Our team effort to develop and implement Best Practices policies was successful and was approved by the district council.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
There are many lessons that I have learned from previous leadership positions. One of the most important lessons is collaboration and helping the team to stay focused on the mission. Whenever we face conflict, we should try to listen to the others and help come up with win-win solutions. Another important lesson of leadership is being present and adapt to change. This is best manifested during the pandemic which affected all aspects of our life. Some leaders were resistant to adapt and it was important as leaders to be role model and be in the forefront to show flexibility and encourage all members to attend virtual meetings. I was among the first of my team to participate in online meetings and contests. As immediate past district director I learned that helping and being advisor and mentoring the new team is essential for the continued success of our district.
What experience and key strengths would you bring to the Board of Directors?
My key strength is my commitment to serve and represent all our members. Having 33 years experience in my profession coupled with 22 years with Toastmasters has strengthened my leadership and communication skills and enhanced my critical thinking. I bring skills in strategic planning and good experience in collaboration working with diverse teams to achieve common vision.
Why do you want to serve as an International Officer/Director?
Leadership is a life long journey and it is a personal choice. I have the passion to serve, because service leadership brings out the best in people. Today we are facing the most challenging time in the history of our organization and I want to be part of shaping the future of our movement. We need dedicated, strong and experienced leaders on the board to build on our legacy of being the first choice provider of effective communication and leadership. I will bring my experience and knowledge to serve our members to my best ability. I believe I am now ready having the time and commitment to serve as an international director.
What volunteer experience do you have outside of Toastmasters?
I have served the community by organizing summer training camps for the elementary students to teach them team work and enhance their leadership skills. Also, I volunteered in youth soccer association and coached young players and motivated them to play as one team helping each other rather than depending on talented single individuals. During my early college years I volunteered to be an active board member of the foreign students union and helped organize many social activities.
Have you worked with other Boards of Directors outside of Toastmasters? If so, describe your experience.
I have served as a member of community services self directed group representing my department. As a board member I reviewed the budget and helped the audit team approve the expenses of recreation program. Also, as a member on the board of directors we helped draft new policies and updated bylaws of self directed groups to adhere to company policies. There were some conflict among different groups with different personal choice, however, we managed to resolve conflict by collaboration that made us successful.
In your opinion, what are Toastmasters International’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
The fundamental objective of Toastmasters International is to empower individuals to become more effective communicators and leaders, thereby transforming individuals to become better members in business, professional and community life. This objective can be achieved by continue to provide experiential communication and leadership program through the global network of clubs and reaching out to more members helping them achieve excellence and their personal goals.
Additional information about candidate:
I like to add few additional information that I have accomplished throughout my journey of Toastmasters and professional career.
1. Service Leadership - Serving as District Governor I led my team to excellence in District Operation and achieved President Distinguished status in 2012-2013 term.
2. Visionary Leadership - I was successful achieving our vision by implementing state of the art having virtual ExCom meeting using GoToMeeting software and electronic voting in district council for the first time in 2013. Also, implementing GoToWebinar district training which became the norm for training webinars in our district.
3. Personal Development - I have achieved in 2002 the first DTM title in the history of my home club Dhahran 1059, twenty four years after it has been chartered in May 1978, later I was awarded another DTM in dual languages (Arabic and English) in 2012.
4. Mentoring - While serving as the District Governor in 2013, I coached District Champion who achieved second place in the semifinals of TI Convention in Orlando, Florida. In 2015 again I mentored a district champion who became world champion in Las Vegas. My love for Mentoring and helping members succeed led me to volunteer as the Pathways Ambassador and Pathways Guide. I earned the 3rd DTM in the old program in 2017 and then to be a role model I completed the 4th DTM and became the first to earn this title in Pathways in my district.
5. Volunteering - During the last four TI conventions I volunteer on the Helping Hands team. This gave me more exposure to teams and organizers and networking with global colleagues and friends.
6. Leading by Example - After Covid19 impacted us; we were forced to use online environment to conduct club meetings and contests. We were faced by resistance from many members and leaders, therefore, I decided to take the lead to participate in online contests and motivated others to adapt and participate. I managed to mentor young member online who won the district championship and I was 1st runner up. As a result our district was among the best districts to adapt to the online environment. 7- Passion to Serve - My passion to serve Toastmasters fraternity has persuaded many past and current district leaders to seek my advice and experience in resolving conflicts and serve on their leadership advisory committees as well as serving as the district parliametariann for two years.
8. Helping future generations - I was among the first leaders involved in youth leadership programs. Since 2002 I was always vocal in expressing my personal conviction that young generations are the majority and will be best target for membership growth in our Gulf Region.
9. Industry Award - Halliburton Oil Well Services division has recognized my technical achievement and approved a patent in the well services technology of new subsurface safety valve that will prevent oil pollution in offshore environment.
10. Team Leader - The Arabian American Oil Company (Aramco) appointed me as company representative to head production and maintenance team on the Gulf Cooperation Council. The main purpose for this team is to collaborate and give technical assistance and share expertise and information among all oil companies in the six Gulf States.