Open Doors of Opportunity
Has Toastmasters helped you achieve and succeed? If so, consider making a contribution to the Ralph C. Smedley Memorial Fund® to share the benefits of Toastmasters with others. Gifts must be processed or postmarked no later than December 31, 2016, to be eligible as a tax-deductible contribution for the 2016 year.
Read the Toastmaster Online
Enjoy your favorite magazine articles, photos and helpful tips on the go. From your desktop, laptop or mobile device, click the magazine tab on the website and log in to find the latest issue. If you prefer to read the magazine online, you can opt out of the print edition.
What Does the DCP Look Like in Pathways?
In Pathways, the Toastmasters Distinguished Club Program (DCP) will still emphasize club quality, but the goals will reflect the new learning structure. Clubs will have plenty of time before they have to formally adopt the new DCP format.
Step Out in Style
Find the right Toastmasters apparel for every occasion. Save 10% on all apparel before December 18! Use promo code APPAREL10 at checkout.
New Return Policy
Effective January 1, 2017, Toastmasters International’s product return policy will change to include the Pathways learning experience materials.
Tax Notice for U.S. Clubs
World Headquarters will file Form 990N with the IRS for U.S-based clubs for the 2016 tax year. Note: If the 2016 gross receipts for your club exceeded $50,000, please email us.
For California Club Treasurers
In mid-January, club presidents and treasurers will receive an email with instructions for e-filing the 199N tax form for the 2016 tax year. The deadline to e-file is May 15.
Order Supplies by December 18
Each year, World Headquarters conducts year-end inventory to account for every item in the Toastmasters warehouse. Because of this, supply orders will not be processed from December 19, 2016 to January 2, 2017.
Please submit orders for new member applications and kits, charter kits, education award certificates (including free manuals from the Advanced Communication Series) and place supply orders before 11:59 p.m. PT on December 18.
Update Your Semiannual Officer List Online
Once new officers are elected, it's easy to log in and submit your club officer list online. Be sure to submit your list by December 31. Without an officer list, club officers will not be able to conduct club business on the Toastmasters website. For assistance, feel free to contact us via email or phone at: +1 949-858-8255, ext. 401. We are available Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT.
Place Large Volume Orders Early
Each year, World Headquarters conducts year-end inventory to account for every item in the Toastmasters warehouse. Because of this, supply orders will not be processed from December 19, 2016, to January 2, 2017.
If you have a large supply or customization order, please plan ahead and place your orders by December 9 to ensure processing and fulfillment before the final deadline of 11:59 p.m. PT on December 18.
Area Directors Prepare for Second-Round Club Visits
You can nurture the relationship between clubs and districts through club visits, which are required twice a year in the Distinguished Area Program. Second-round of club visits began December 1; reports can be submitted upon completion of the club visit. When the visit reports are submitted online, a copy of the completed report will automatically be sent to the district director, program quality director, club growth director, division director, area director and president of the club visited.
It's Time for Club Officer Training
Club Officer Training is a great opportunity for leadership development. District leaders: Be sure to promote the benefits of training and remind club officers that it is an important goal in the Distinguished Club Program. Second-round of training began December 1 and can be submitted once training is complete.
Request Funds Early This Month
If you need district reserve funds in December, please send a request before 11:59 p.m. PT on December 18. Requests received after this date will be paid in January.
Plan Ahead for Financial Deadlines
The Mid-Year Audit Profit & Loss Statement and documentation are due by February 15. Please enter December 2016 information in the district accounting system by January 31. This will allow the district director, finance manager and audit committee to complete the Monthly Narratives and Certification spreadsheets by the February deadline.
Top 5 Tips for Club and District Facebook Pages
Make the Most of Your Presence
Creating and maintaining a Facebook page can be a valuable way to stay connected with current members while also informing prospective members about the terrific things your club and district are doing. Keep club and district members engaged and post more easily and frequently with these five tips:
- Share content from the Toastmasters International Facebook Fan page. It features many Toastmaster magazine articles and member stories you can share on your club or district Facebook page. It also highlights articles and stories from prominent publications where Toastmasters was mentioned.
- Promote meetings and events. Whether it’s an open house, speech contest or anniversary dinner, generate interest in club happenings by simply posting the date, time, image and a brief description of the event. Facebook also automatically features “Interested” and “Going” buttons so you can see who might be attending and encourage them to bring a friend.
- Post photos of meetings, events and more. One of the easiest ways to make members feel special and to attract new members is to post photos and tag the participants (with their permission). Having an engaging cover photo also helps promote your club and what makes it unique. A picture truly is worth a thousand words!
- Create short videos of your events and meetings. You don’t have to be a professional to capture and share exciting moments from your club on video. Use your Smartphone to record events and meetings, and remember one rule—keep your videos short. Two minutes or less is ideal.
- Answer questions and respond to comments. Whether it’s helping a new member find your club, posting more feedback on an incredible speech or commenting about a recent event, your Facebook page is the perfect forum to engage with current and prospective members. Commenting and responding are simple ways you can keep the conversation going.
Finally, don’t forget to use hashtags (#) at the end of your post to attract new and current members to your Facebook group. Here are some good hashtags to get you started: #Toastmasters #PublicSpeaking #meetup #communication #eventname #Location (City or State).