July 2021 Leader Letter
Prepare to Cast Your Vote
Learn how to assign a proxy and be ready to vote on important Toastmasters business.
Every year, members and clubs have the opportunity to vote on important business matters that help shape the future of Toastmasters International. Though there are no proposals up for vote this year, new International Directors from the odd-numbered regions will be elected to the Board of Directors. To help lead your club(s) through the voting process, read this guide and get prepared to cast your vote on August 26 during the Annual Business Meeting.
Club Voting Procedures
Each club should hold a vote to determine who will be the club’s proxyholder and how their ballot will be cast at the Annual Business Meeting. Here are some rules for club voting:
- For any club business or voting to be officially recognized, a quorum, or minimum number of members, is required to be present. The quorum for Toastmasters clubs is a simple majority of active club members. Likewise, the quorum for a club’s executive committee is a majority of committee members.
- Each active member is entitled to one vote on any matter presented before the club membership for a vote.
- Proxy voting or absentee ballots are not permitted during the club voting process.
- A majority vote by all present and active members is all that is required to pass a proposed item.
Voting at the Annual Business Meeting
Clubs in good standing may cast two (2) votes at the Annual Business Meeting for International Officer and Director elections.
Follow these steps to prepare your club to vote:
- Encourage members to learn more about the International Officer and International Director candidates.
- Organize a discussion at an upcoming meeting about which candidates best meet the needs of Toastmasters International.
Designating a Proxyholder
All clubs must designate a proxyholder to vote. You can designate a delegate from the club, another active member, or the District Director.
Club Presidents or Secretaries, please follow these steps to assign the club’s proxy:
- To assign the club votes, go to Club Central, log in, choose the club(s) you are assigning proxies for, and click on Club Proxy. The club’s proxy must be assigned by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on August 16.
- Proxyholders must log into the Toastmasters International website during the credentials process from August 17 to 20 to obtain their proxy summary report.
- The credentials process validates the proxyholder to access the electronic ballot, which will be available for 24 hours after the Annual Business Meeting on August 26.
- If the club provides voting directions, proxyholders will vote in the manner a club instructs.
More information on proxy voting will be emailed to Club Presidents, Secretaries, and liaisons this month.
Use these guidelines to help ensure a smooth voting process. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.