Kimberly Dueck, DTM
Candidate's Office: International Director
Region Number: 9
Toastmasters member since: 2009
Education: Masters of Business Administration (MBA) – Supply Chain Management (University of Manitoba); Bachelor of Commerce (honours) – Marketing & HR (University of Manitoba); Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) – Managerial Accounting
Employer and/or position: Canada Post Corporation - Finance Director
Served as District Director of District number: 61
Term of service: 2020 - 2021
In term as District Director, District achieved: Not Distinguished
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service (international-, region-, and District-level):
- 2013-2014 District Treasurer (Finance Manager)
- 2018-2019 Division Director
- 2019-2020 Program Quality Director
Toastmasters honors and recognition (international- and District-level):
- 2019-2020 Excellence in Program Quality
- 2020-2021 Resilience Award
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a Board Member:
Developing creative strategies to enhance customer experience has been my passion for over 22 years. As an executive in the field of logistics, I have experience in creating/managing large budgets based on key corporate priorities, developing solutions in contract management, creating change management strategies including communications plans and learning road maps, delivering innovative solutions in technology, and driving enterprise integration through strategic networking. I have worked with multinational companies developing solid partnerships in significant multi-year agreements. I am a visionary servant-leader who achieves results through culturally diverse and cohesive teams dedicated to a shared purpose.
As a board member, I will integrate my knowledge, ability to research/analyze problems and identify effective strategies, and passion for enhancing customer experience to build an even stronger organization we are all proud to be a part of.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
As a Certified Professional Accountant and Finance professional, I have extensive experience developing multi-year corporate plans in strategic outsourcing, carbon neutral programs, technology and automation, asset replenishment, and growth strategies. I have also been involved in creating and executing corresponding business cases that outline the cost/benefit of the recommended strategy, detailed plan and resources required to achieve success, and gaining alignment and sign-off from key stakeholders.
As a change agent and leader of business transformation, I have experience in gaining alignment in team vision, designing organizational structure and metrics, and project and change management approaches to execute the plan successfully.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
I am a Finance executive with over 12 years of experience in FP&A (financial planning, budgeting, and reporting), financial modelling & analytics, business cases, controls, and transformation. I am particularly passionate about helping others increase their financial acumen and translating numbers into business terms. I have extensive experience as a trusted advisor to senior executives — I enable a clear understanding of the financial implications of their decisions.
What experience do you have in developing policies?
I designed and implemented a new contract management function for an extensive international portfolio of contracts. This new function is responsible for creating policies and procedures that enable contract managers across the corporation to manage their contracts and supplier relationships more effectively with increased control and improved business performance. The new function also led to the design and implementation of a new governance framework that drives accountability to appropriate levels of the organization. My team received global recognition for innovation and leadership in contract management.
As an executive, I take an active approach to organizational development and designing staffing strategies and policies for targeted active recruitment, succession planning, mentoring, and personnel development to increase retention and attract new team members within the changing demographics and demands of the work environment.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
- Conflict does not age well – getting the parties involved in the same room quickly to address the situation while understanding the underlying needs of each party and finding common ground/alignment are crucial to managing conflict.
- If you can lead volunteers, you can lead anyone – having a clear vision that inspires and resonates with the team, feeling a part of something bigger than ourselves mobilizes incredible effort and remarkable results. Volunteer time is our most valuable and finite resource.
- Taking time for myself is not selfish – being an effective leader requires having the energy to support and motivate others. Staying active and healthy, getting enough sleep, and meditation are critical tools to recharge.
What experience and key strengths would you bring to the Board of Directors?
Authentic, Passionate, and Driven…
Being an authentic leader is essential to building trust with those around me and creating a safe space for everyone to feel heard and be part of the solution. I create opportunities for collaboration to identify creative strategies.
Bringing a passion for excellence into everything I do is essential for my vision and sparking energy from those around me. I believe the best strategies are created when we are committed to a common purpose and constantly seeking new ways to add value.
Driving results through service to each other…being part of a mission together is an incredible experience. I enjoy crafting an inspiring vision and aligning with the most critical priority to enable the team's success.
Why do you want to serve as an International Officer/Director?
I see a world filled with opportunities for our amazing organization, and I would be honoured to be a part of influencing our future direction. I look forward to collaborating with fellow board members, developing strategies that align with our vision and address our business realities, and broadening my Toastmasters family worldwide. I look forward to the many conversations with our members and developing our organization to be alive and thriving for many future generations.
What volunteer experience do you have outside of Toastmasters?
I have been involved in fundraising campaigns for various charities including the United Way, as a mentor for young people, and as the music director for several musical productions.
Have you worked with other Boards of Directors outside of Toastmasters? If so, describe your experience.
I have served as the audit chair for a charitable organization. Working with the board, we identified several opportunities to improve controls and processes to support the board's objectives. It was a valuable experience to collaborate and actively listen to understand the context of their decisions and operating procedures.
In your opinion, what are Toastmasters International’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
Toastmasters International 2022-2024 Strategic Plan includes four key objectives:
- Club excellence (increase distinguished clubs + member satisfaction)
- Member achievement (increase pathways level achievements)
- Awareness & engagement (increase membership, clubs, retention)
- Operational effectiveness
I plan to actively collaborate with our board to achieve the organization's primary objectives. In my opinion, the following strategies will help us achieve success:
- Adopt a channel strategy by membership and meeting type, i.e. corporate/community clubs; in-person/online/hybrid. Each channel strategy would address specific requirements in the areas of marketing, tools/training, and resource support. All four primary objectives will be handled with a targeted approach and improved focus.
- Revamp the Distinguished Program to increase motivation. The revamped program would align targets for all levels of the organization, encourage effective use of our most valuable resource (our members), consider the realities of today and capitalize on opportunities for the future. The program will focus on behavioural fundamentals required to motivate desired outcomes which will address all four primary objectives.
- Revise the Organization Leadership Structure. The new structure will leverage current strategies in organizational behaviour, creating better clarity of roles & responsibilities, better utilization of our volunteer leaders, and reducing conflict. While this strategy primarily addresses critical objective #4 (operational effectiveness), there will be indirect benefits to all objectives with an enhanced member experience.
Additional information about candidate:
I have a passion for life. Following a severe ski accident in 2019 and resulting years of rehabilitation (which continues today), I deeply value time (my own and everyone around me). My life's purpose is to help myself and others find their passion and achieve their dreams. I strive to lead with balance and inspire the community through greater purpose. I love spending time with my husband, our two adorable dogs (2-year-old sheltie sisters), and our family (Toastmasters is our extended family). I am a lifelong learner who reads 30+ books per year and actively seeks learning opportunities. My husband and I enjoy outdoor adventures, travel, unique culinary experiences, and staying active.