District Leadership Committee
What is a District Leadership Committee?
In order to ensure successful district elections, the district director must appoint a district leadership committee. The work of the committee is critical in ensuring long-term district success. They must (1) seek out prospective candidates; (2) evaluate and interview candidates; (3) nominate candidates; and (4) provide a complete report of candidates. The district leadership committee report must be presented to the district director at least six weeks before the district's Annual Business Meeting.
The committee nominates candidates for district office and screens candidates for eligibility. The district director appoints the committee chair no later than October 1. Remaining committee members shall be appointed no later than November 1. The district director cannot be a member of the committee. The committee must consist of no fewer than five members, one of whom is appointed the chair. If possible, the chair should be a past district director. No member of the committee can be nominated for a district office in the election at which the committee’s report is presented.
Committee Member Qualifications:
Each committee member must be a member in good standing of a club in good standing and shall be selected from different divisions (or areas in districts without divisions). Each division (or area in districts without divisions) should be represented on the committee. Any committee member(s) may participate by telephone conference, email, or other means of communication when distance is an obstacle to participation. No member may have served on the committee the previous year. International director/officer candidates, region advisors and current members of the Toastmasters International Board of Directors cannot serve on the committee.
To avoid the appearance of bias or impropriety, committee members having a personal or professional relationship with a particular candidate shall abstain from the discussion and voting, as a matter of good judgment. Members of the committee cannot participate in any campaign for district office nor endorse any candidate for district office.
The committee may ask to meet personally with candidates. Committee deliberations, including vote tallies, are confidential and cannot be divulged to anyone except the district director, World Headquarters, and the Board of Directors. The committee shall interview all known candidates for each elected position. Each candidate shall be evaluated using standard criteria that the chair will provide to the committee.
The committee nominates one or two candidates for each of the offices of district director and program quality director. The committee nominates one or more candidates for the office of club growth director and all other elective district offices.
The committee must verify that candidates meet eligibility requirements. No prospective candidate can be nominated until:
- At the time of taking office, the district director must have served at least six consecutive months as club president and at least 12 consecutive months as a lieutenant governor, division director or a combination of these.
- At the time of taking office, the program quality director must have served at least six consecutive months as club president and at least 12 consecutive months as a lieutenant governor, a division director, an area director or a combination of these.
- At the time of taking office, the club growth director must have served at least six consecutive months as club president and at least 12 consecutive months as a lieutenant governor, a division director, an area director or a combination of these.
- At the time of taking office, the division director must have served at least six consecutive months as members of a district council.
- If possible, the area director should have served as members of a district council.
- The committee has determined that the candidate understands the duties and responsibilities of office, is committed to fulfilling those duties and responsibilities, and has the skills and abilities necessary to perform successfully as an officer. The committee should follow the guidelines and timelines provided by World Headquarters.
- The committee has determined that the candidate will accept the nomination, although the candidate has the right to withdraw his/her name from nomination at the district’s annual business meeting, and to be nominated from the floor as a candidate for another office.
- The committee has received a copy of the Officer Agreement and Release Statement signed by the candidate. To be nominated or elected, all candidates for district director, program quality director, club growth director, and division director must sign the Officer Agreement and Release Statement published by Toastmasters International.The district should make all reasonable effort to have all other district leaders sign the statement. All signed forms of elected leaders must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. These forms will be kept as part of the district’s permanent records.
Committee Voting Process
All members of the committee have an equal opportunity to express their concerns and opinions in the selection of candidates. The committee chair cannot use his/her position to influence the other committee members. Committee members must exercise their independent judgments with respect to all prospective candidates, having in mind the best interests of Toastmasters International and the district, as well as the experience, abilities and qualifications of prospective candidates.
The committee nominates one or two candidates for each of the offices of district director and program quality director. The committee nominates one or more candidates for the office of club growth director and all other elective district offices. An individual must be a paid member to be nominated for or to serve in any office or leadership role in Toastmasters International.
Each member of the committee votes for one or two candidates for the positions of district director and program quality director. Each member of the committee then votes for one or more candidates for the office of club growth director and all other elective district offices. The committee chair votes along with the other committee members for each nomination. The committee must consider all announced candidates for a district. Votes of the committee members must be cast in writing.
The chair reports the committee’s results in writing to the district director no fewer than six weeks before the district's Annual Business Meeting. The district director submits the report in writing to all members of the district council at least four weeks before the Annual Business Meeting. This may be done in the district newsletter or on the district website. At the discretion of the district director, a statement from each nominee outlining their qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the office may be included with the report. Only candidates nominated by the committee may be included in the report. A district cannot publish the names of floor candidates with the committee report or in any other district publication.
The chair of the committee or the district director notifies candidates nominated for office and reconfirms their willingness to be nominated and their commitment to fulfill the duties of office if elected. The chair of the committee or district director also notifies any candidates who were not nominated and advises them of their eligibility to seek office as floor candidates. Additional qualified candidates may be nominated from the floor at the district’s Annual Business Meeting.
Use this checklist to facilitate the district nominations process.
Find out what is required of District Leaders and what qualifications pertain to each role.
Use this form to nominate yourself or someone else for a District Leader position.
Candidates must sign and submit this form to the chair of the nominating committee.
Use this checklist to determine if candidates for district office meet the required qualifications.
Use this form to grade and evaluate a candidate's abilities.
New Online Photo Gallery!
Member Connections shows club members having fun and creating memories.View Now
Classic Look, Modern Fit
During May, save 10-percent on a Toastmasters Vintage Logo T-Shirt! With unisex and ladies versions, there’s a shirt fit for you! Use code 10VINTAGE to save on your shirt. Offer valid May 1-31, 2019. Not valid with any other offer.Shop now
Keep up with the latest news and updates from Toastmasters International.View Announcements