Tell us your story!
The Toastmaster has existed since 1933 to explore the topics of leadership and communication for an international audience.
More than 270,000 members living in 116 countries read the Toastmaster each month, so it is important that all articles are geared toward an international audience. We welcome submissions from members and freelancers living anywhere in the world. All submissions must be in English.
We accept authentic, well-researched and well-crafted articles written on the topics of communication or leadership. The best submissions have style, depth, emotional impact and take-away value to the reader.
The first page of your article must include:
1. Article title
2. Writer’s name and email address
3. Word count
4. 100-word article summary
5. Brief author biography
Please follow these guidelines as well:
- Article length should be from 700 to 1,800 words, double-spaced and with minimal formatting. Do not use headers, footers, page numbers or page breaks.
- Show, don’t tell! Use anecdotes and examples to present your ideas. Incorporate an unusual hook, compelling story or unique angle to make your article relevant and fresh.
- Use verifiable sources and quotes from experts to support your views.
- Write with a “how to” approach and provide tips for readers to improve themselves.
- Do not submit articles with obvious political and religious slants.
- Profiles of colorful, historically significant and unique people are welcome, but make sure they are internationally relevant.
- For more suggested article topics, click here.
Every week, 15 to 30 articles are sent to the submissions mailbox by members and freelance writers. The Publications team at World Headquarters reviews each one. This process does take time. Therefore, we only contact writers who will be published.
Compensation and acceptance of articles depends on the originality, amount of research, timeliness and excellence of the work submitted. Acceptance of an article does not guarantee author compensation. Most accepted articles will be published in the printed magazine as well as electronically in the digital edition.
Article submissions must be in Microsoft Word format or pasted into the email body. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.