Preparing a Speech
Preparing for a speech is one of the best ways to ensure you give an effective presentation. Try these tips to help you properly prepare:
- Organize your speech in a logical sequence: opening, main points, summary.
- Practice and rehearse a speech frequently prior to delivering it. Ask friends to be your audience, or practice in front of a mirror. Be sure to use a timer to help you pace your speech.
- Become familiar with the stage or the setting where the speech will take place. Get a sense of the size of the stage, where any steps or obstacles might be, and where to enter and exit.
- Choose comfortable clothes to wear, but always maintain a professional appearance.
- Visual aids should fit a speech, whether they are funny, serious or technical. The main goal of visual aids is to help the audience understand what is being said, and reinforce the points of a speech in unique and interesting ways.
New Online Photo Gallery!
Member Connections shows club members having fun and creating memories.View Now
Award competitors with medals! Use code MEDAL10 to save 10% on Toastmasters medals! Offer valid January 1–31, 2019. Not valid with any other offer.Shop Now
Keep up with the latest news and updates from Toastmasters International.View Announcements