Creating Our Future: Highlights from the 2011 Executive Director's Report
During the Board Briefing at the Toastmasters International Convention in August, Executive Director Daniel Rex reported on the state of the organization during the 2010-2011 year, highlighting a nearly 5 percent membership increase.
While growth has been steady for 18 years, Rex detailed the Board’s strategic plan to build an even “stronger, bigger, brighter” Toastmasters of the future and to transform “our global association into a world-class organization.” To that end, Toastmasters International launched several key projects in 2011, including:
- A comprehensive brand refresh
- An expanded public relations program to increase media exposure and provide greater support to club and district public relations officers. So far the program has generated more than $700,000 in media coverage in North America alone.
- Technology upgrades such as online payment processing and a more accessible district accounting system. Plans are also in the works to significantly improve the usability of the Toastmasters website.
- Updated governing documents.
- Tax and regulatory compliance in more countries and states.
- Digital offerings such as the Toastmaster magazine and speech contest materials, with more to come in 2012.
- Plans to conduct regular member satisfaction surveys and a member census with the objective to ensure world-class service.
- Extended Member Services hours: 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST.
- A new club e-learning module to be beta-tested in the coming months.
- A new youth communication program.
- New reporting and training tools to better prepare district, division and area leaders for the new recognition system going into effect July 1, 2012.
- Enhanced Club Leadership Handbook and District Leadership Handbook, now available as free PDF downloads on the Toastmasters website.
The projects listed above represent just a few of the initiatives being conducted to benefit members, clubs and districts and help them achieve the highest possible level of excellence.