Use of Toastmasters Materials
The mission of every Toastmasters club is to provide an environment for members to learn speaking and leadership skills. The club’s primary purpose is to educate its own members, and most of its efforts should be devoted to this purpose.
However, a club must constantly seek new members by promoting itself in the community or company where it meets. One recognized method of promotion is to give presentations to nonmembers, such as:
- Youth Leadership
- The Better Speaker Series
- The Leadership Excellence Series
- The Successful Club Series
Our tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization could be jeopardized if we appear to be competing for business with for-profit enterprises that pay taxes. Liability is also an issue; in the countries where Toastmasters clubs are covered by liability insurance, the insurance is not valid for activities outside normal Toastmasters meetings.
It is therefore the policy of Toastmasters International that:
- Only the above presentations may be conducted outside of the regular Toastmasters meeting, and they may be conducted only as a means to promote membership in the club within the community or company.
- All presentations are to be conducted by Toastmasters members acting as representatives of their clubs, thereby preserving the identity of the program, club and/or organization.
- No individuals, educational institutions or other organizations may derive financial gain either directly or indirectly from conducting these presentations.
While Toastmasters members may occasionally organize the above presentations for another club, they may not conduct training programs, seminars or other events for other Toastmasters clubs and members without obtaining the district’s permission. Subject matter and content of any such training program, seminar or event must be in keeping with the club and district missions.
Membership and Mailing Lists
Toastmasters International and its members’ contact information should be used only for official business of the organization. Toastmasters International does not sell or make available its mailing lists for solicitation or non-Toastmasters business.
Use of names, postal or electronic addresses or telephone numbers of clubs or their members is prohibited for any purpose other than official Toastmasters business. This includes, but is not limited to, names obtained from Toastmasters World Headquarters or any other Toastmasters sources, such as district or other Toastmasters directories, the Toastmaster magazine, websites, or electronic servers.
Acceptable uses include, but are not limited to, the mailing of club and district newsletters, meeting agendas and conference information.
The following disclaimer should be included in all directories and websites: “The information in this _______________________ is for the sole use of Toastmasters members for Toastmasters business only. It is not to be used for solicitation and distribution of non-Toastmasters materials or information.”