Region Advisor Biography
Melissa McGavick, DTM
Location: Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, United States
Member Since: 2004
Region Number: 7
Home District: 13
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service (international, region and district level):
- 2011-2012 Area Governor
- 2012-2013 Lieutenant Governor Marketing
- 2013-2014 Lieutenant Governor Education and Training
- 2014-2015 District Governor
- 2016 Training and Development Advisory Committee
Toastmasters honors and recognition (including international level you have received):
- 2011-2012 Area Governor (Presidents Distinguished Area)
- 2012-2013 Excellence in Marketing Award (Select Distinguished District)
- 2013-2014 Excellence in Education and Training Award
- 2014-2015 Select Distinguished District Governor
- 2015 Presented at District Leader Training “Meet the Experts” session held at the 2015 International Convention held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a region advisor:
My professional experience in sales, coaching and training, executive recruiting, and team development is a natural fit for the Regional Advisor duties. The skills required to sell to, advise, and coach executive C-Suite clients are identical to the skills needed to successful advise the District Executive Committee members.
What key strengths do you bring to the district leaders?
Each role in district leadership has a unique skill set to be cultivated. I bring something different for each role: executive-level selling skills to empower the Club Growth Director; training, coaching and successful event planning to guide the Program Quality Director; coaching and team development to support the District Director; and a degree in Communications: Media Studies to assist the Public Relations Manager.
Why are you interested in serving as region advisor?
When I joined Toastmasters to polish up my training presentations, I expected to be a member for maybe six months. That was in 2004. Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with what we do and what we stand for. There are few organizations outside of Toastmasters where someone strives so hard to improve their fellow member. My greatest joy is developing others to more than even they thought possible. The beauty of it is, every time I help someone else, I somehow improve myself in the process. Serving as a region advisor is the ultimate opportunity to serve and grow.