International Leadership Roles
International DirectorsInternational directors are members of the Toastmasters International Board of Directors, each representing one of the 14 Toastmasters regions. International directors are elected to serve a two-year term.
Attributes of Successful International Directors
- Demonstrated understanding of Toastmasters’ direction and purpose
- Ability to inspire others and communicate the organization’s mission, values and envisioned future
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively as a team member
- Experience and ability to think strategically and participate in the development and implementation of a strategic plan
- Significant communication and leadership understanding, experience and achievement in and outside of Toastmasters
- High level of integrity and history of ethical conduct
- Effective listener, thinker and speaker
- Ability to analyze information and make informed decisions, and to support all Board decisions
- Understanding of Toastmasters programs
- Experience in policy evaluation
- Ability to identify and encourage future leaders and serve as a role model
International Director Responsibilities
International directors support Toastmasters both in and out of the boardroom.In the Boardroom:
- Participate, as assigned, on committees to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Demonstrate a global perspective during discussions and decisions
- Participate in organizational financial oversight and approve the annual budget
- Participate in strategic-plan development and monitor execution
- Understand and embody the mission, values and envisioned future as well as the governing documents at all times
- Appropriately use professional experience
- Determine high-level policy direction, and review and approve policies
- Maintain an understanding of organizational operations, progress and capacity
- Discuss organizational opportunities and determine future direction as appropriate
- Handle disciplinary matters appropriate to the Board
- Serve as a mentor to first-year directors to enable a more effective Board with the ability to work efficiently
Out of the Boardroom:
- Visit districts, as needed and approved, as an organizational ambassador to share the organization’s message, motivate and support district leadership teams, recognize continued corporate sponsorship and lead corporate and media events
- In collaboration with the region advisor of the same region, maintain an awareness of district progress and achievement and participate in regular conference calls with district leaders in order to support and encourage them
- Interact with members at events in order to maintain awareness of the organization (through contact with district leaders and attendance at district visits, Mid-year training and the International Convention)
- Refer ideas, suggestions, opportunities, concerns, challenges, requests, conflicts and other substantive issues to the International President or World Headquarters as appropriate
- Participate as a facilitator at district leader training as assigned
- Identify and encourage talented and qualified members to seek election to the Board
If you are interested in applying for an international director position, please visit www.toastmasters.org/candidatequalifications.
The officers of Toastmasters International are the International President, International President-Elect, First Vice President, Second Vice President and Immediate Past International President. These officers are members of the Board of Directors and constitute the Executive Committee, the Strategic Planning Committee and the Finance Committee.
Each year elections are held for Second Vice President, First Vice President and International President-Elect. The International President and Immediate Past International President automatically transition to their new roles.
Attributes of Successful International Officers
- Advanced understanding of Toastmasters’ direction and purpose
- Proven ability to inspire others and communicate the organization’s mission, values and envisioned future
- Demonstrated ability to be a highly effective international director
- Demonstrates experience thinking strategically and developing and implementing a strategic plan
- Advanced leadership understanding and experience
- Significant experience leading committees and senior leadership teams
- Experience analyzing information and making executive-level decisions
- Ability and experience evaluating policy and making significant high-level policy decisions
- Experience with and understanding of effective Board-staff relations and authorities
- Demonstrated personal integrity and experience ensuring that ethical standards are met.
International Officer ResponsibilitiesInternational officers, as members of the Board, are expected to, as necessary, execute any of the responsibilities of an international director and fulfill these additional responsibilities:
- Review the proposed annual budget and submit a final budget document to the Board
- Review operations and policies that are carried out by the Chief Executive Officer
- Supervise the performance and position of the Chief Executive Officer
- Perform duties as specified in the Bylaws of Toastmasters International or assigned by the Board through policy or other Board action
- Conduct the organization’s business on behalf of the Board while the Board is not in session
- Serve as chair for Board committees as assigned by the International President
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization as assigned by the International President
Read more from past Board members on why service as an international officer and director was gratifying. If you are interested in applying for an international director position, please visit www.toastmasters.org/candidatequalifications.
Introducing the Toastmaster magazine online!
Read the new web-based version of the magazine from any device.View Now
Share your Toastmasters Passion!
Save 10% on the Vintage Logo T-Shirt in September. Use promo code VINTAGE10.Shop Now