International Leadership Committee
The International Leadership Committee (ILC) is responsible for nominating international officer and director candidates from the pool of applicants. This committee may also seek out qualified applicants and encourage them to be candidates. The ILC is tasked with nominating no more than three candidates for Second Vice President and no more than three candidates for international director for each region from which a director will be elected that year.
Each year, 17 people serve our organization on this committee. The Past International President of two years ago is the chair, the Past International President whose term as Immediate Past International president just ended, serves as vice chair and one additional Past International President serves on the committee as well.
One representative from each of the 14 regions is also appointed by the International President-Elect. These appointees consist of past international presidents, past international directors and past district governors. Some of these appointees may have served with the candidates, either at the district or international level, and may have first-hand knowledge of their abilities, experience and leadership qualities.
How does the ILC arrive at its decisions regarding nominations? The approach is multifaceted:
- Conduct interviews with each candidate - discuss his or her experience and qualifications for the office being sought.
- Review assessment results - completed by candidate and Toastmasters leaders that have previously served with the candidate.
- Listen to input from current and former leaders, and other Toastmaster members regarding the candidate.
- Review candidate materials
- Review any policy violations
Once completed, the ILC reviews and discusses to vote on its final nominations. Those who are not nominated, but have met eligibility requirements, may still be nominated by a member at the Annual Business Meeting and run from the floor.